Thursday, January 24, 2013

Raspberry Blue Muffins

 Blue_muffins
I love muffins. All kinds. I'm not limited to just the homemade kind. I love ones that are homemade. I love the big huge ones from Costco (I think they're more of a cupcake, but I've got nothing against eating cupcakes for breakfast.). I like ones from a mix too.

My favorite muffin mix is Krusteaz Blueberry Muffin Mix. I even mention it in one of my posts (that I did a long long time ago before this was a food blog) They're really good, light and fluffy with a great flavor. They look like the kind of muffins that you see in commercials. My mom usually just adds the blueberry juice to the mix. I like pretty muffins, so I don't.

When she adds the juice it turns them blue. Not a pretty blue either, a gray  purpley blue
Kind of like the color of this nail polish.

She also makes homemade muffins that are totally delish! My favorite is the white chocolate raspberry one.

If you want to have pretty muffins, you have to fold the berries in gently. My mom cares less about the look of the muffin and more of the taste. (Honestly, I don't care that much either). When you don't fold them in, the berries will spread and turn the batter all different colors. I don't know how, but the last time she made raspberry muffins, they turned the batter blue. Which got me thinking, what if you actually tried to make the muffins blue with raspberries in them.

I've finally come up with an acceptable conclusion.
Even better, it's a delicious conclusion.
Blue_muffins
Raspberry Blue Muffins
 These muffins are moist and flavorful thanks to the sour cream in this recipe. The raspberries sprinkled through out add a nice tart juicy bites. With their pretty blue color, these are sure to be a hit at your next breakfast.
 Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c oil
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 c sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. flavoring
  • 1/4 c milk
  • 2 c flour
  • 1/2 t bkg soda
  • 2 t bkg powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 tsp almond flavoring
  • 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries
  • *optional* handful of coconut 
  • blue food coloring (I used Wilton Sky Blue)
Directions: Cream oil, sugar & eggs.  Add poppy seeds, sour cream, milk & dry ingredients & add ins. Stir until moist.  Batter will be thick.  Spoon into paper lined muffin cups filling to top Bake @ 400 for 15-20 min.
Adapted from my mom


Note: All the posts I write are mine, all the recipes I post are mine. Everything is mine except for the photos which came from A Fridge Full Of Food . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...