Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Boston Cream Pie Pie


Back when I was a kid (aka last year) we'd always go down to my grandparents house for Thanksgiving.
My mom was in charge of the pie one year and had to stop by the store and grab some ingredients (aka graham cracker crust and a box of pudding(easiest pie EVER)). Well we were all tired of being in the car and hopped out with her.

As soon as I walked into the store I saw it.

Gummy snakes. HUGE gummy snakes. Huge gummy snakes that were 36 inches long.

I bought one of course, and named it Razz. Because it's flavor was Rattlesnake Blue Raspberry (or maybe it was Biting Blue Raspberry, I'm not really sure)

Well that Thanksgiving I invented the most awesomest game ever.

Becca Trivia.

It was where I would ask all my little cousins (who basically worshiped me) questions about myself.

One of the questions was what the name of my pet snake was (Razz)

Another question was what was my favorite cake. The answer was boston cream pie.

This really confused them because how is a cake a pie?

That still really bugs me. Because this


looks like a cake. NOT A PIE.

So now we're going to rename this pie. It is now forever called Boston Cream Cake.

Now we are going to turn Boston Cream Cake, into a pie. As in, a dessert with a crust.

Let me explain to you the layers of Boston Cream Cake, and how I transformed those layers to this pie.

A boston cream cake has sponge cake, vanilla pudding and chocolate frosting/glaze.
My boston cream cake pie has sponge cake crust, vanilla pudding pie filling and chocolate glaze.

Simple yet profound.

Boston Cream Pie Pie
A Boston Cream Cake in the form of a pie!

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 egg 
  • 2 boxes of French Vanilla Pudding
  • 1 1/3 cups of cold milk
  • whipped cream (made from egg whites)
  • 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 4 ounces heavy cream (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup 
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray. Beat cake mix, butter, and egg in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until combined. (Mixture will be thick.) Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. There should be some left over (you can make cookies with it or make another pie). Bake for 9-11 min. Set aside. Pour milk into mixing bowl. Add pudding mix. Mix on lowest speed for two minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Pour the mixture into the crust. When you are ready to serve, placed the chopped chocolate in a bowl. In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the cream and corn syrup and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once the cream begins to simmer, pour the cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 2 minutes. Stir the mixture until the chocolate is smooth. Pour the chocolate glaze over the top of the chilled pie and smooth with an offset spatula, and serve immediately.



    The recipes and ideas are mine, the photos are from Punchfork. I edited the one at the top.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...