Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mormon Muffins (Healthy)

 


These muffins are sooo good. The perfect way to wake up on a cold winter morning. They're good on their own, but they're completely over the top when you eat them warm with honey butter.

These are a restaurant copy cat that I found at Mandy's Recipe Box. They got their name because the restaurant is in Utah, where the Mormon Pioneers settled (a really really long time ago in the 1800s).

These are not your boring bran muffins. They're totally decadent especially with the honey butter. I used to steer clear of bran, but these muffins made me try it. The main reason I made them was because the name really intrigued me (I'm Mormon), I mean it's like saying Catholic Butter. Did this recipe come from Mormons? Was the recipe creator a Mormon?

Anyways, I'm glad that I tried it. It's one of my favorite muffin recipes now and I've already made it 3 times (not actually at breakfast, I'm too busy, I make these in the evening)

Not only are these delicious, they're also good for you! Yep, I'm trying to stick to the skinny theme of January. Not sure how long I can hold out before I splurge with cake batter or something.

So with all these facts that you should make these, they're delicious, they're easy, they're awesome, they're a restaurant copycat, and they're good for you! So go make them right now!
 

 Mormon Muffins
A copycat of the muffins at The Greenery. Delicious and good for you!
  •  1 c. boiling water
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c. buttermilk
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 c. All Bran cereal
  • 1 c. 40% bran flakes
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Directions: Add soda to boiling water and set aside. Whip shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs slowly. Mix well. Add the buttermilk, flour salt and mix again. Add the soda water very slowly. Gently fold the cereals and the walnuts into the mix. Muffin mix must sit in the refrigerator over night before baking. Grease the tops and inside of muffin pans (these will go over the tops of the tins). Spoon batter into muffin tins to the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool. Muffin mix will last one week covered and refrigerated. Makes about 2 dozen regular sized muffins. Try these in jumbo muffin tins. They'd be fabulous.

 Adapted from Mandy's Recipe Box

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...