Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Red Velvet Peppermint Patties

DISCLAIMER: This is actually my idea, no one elses, but my camera's broken (waaah!) and I still wanted to have a picture for the post. This beautiful photo is from the lovely Katrina who blogs over at Warm Vanilla Sugar (love the name!). She made some Homemade Peppermint Patties, looks to die for yum! Go check out her blog! I edited her photos (turned them red) and added a headline thingy, but they're still hers. Go say Hi to Katrina for me!

I love the dollar store (it's technically called the dollar tree, but you know, same thing). I mean there is just SO. MUCH. STUFF.

I saw a pound cake there one time. A pound cake. In the checkout lane. They also have sour dough bread. And marshmallows. And they sell cotton candy there too! And they also sell
silly string
punch balloons
gumball machines
pregnancy tests
teeth whitener
laundry soap
soda
chips
coloring books
paperback books
solar dancing stuff (like daisies)
candles
perfume
glow sticks
sticky notes
pinwheels
bubbles
costumes
purple napkins
easter bunnies
spicy cheetos
toothbrushes
eye drops
coconut shampoo
tote bags
crazy socks
the best candy ever every in the world
chocolate chip
The best candy company in the world  is Candy ASAP. They make muddy bears (chocolate covered gummy bears), cotton candy swirls (I die), and cookie dough bites. The newest thing is cupcake bites!! And recently they've made red velvet cupcake bites!! (they're not available in my area :(     )

Cupcake Bites
So how do I get rid of my red velvet sorrows? Make a new red velvet candy of course! Enter Red Velvet Peppermint Patties.

Red Velvet Peppermint Patties 
A red velvet version of the popular mint candy
Ingredients:
  • 12 oz white chocolate candy coating or white chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup dry red velvet cake mix
  • Red candy coloring (not regular food coloring!)
  • 1/8 cup butter (1/4 stick)
  • 1lb powdered sugar
Directions:
Combine Cream cheese and Butter in heavy bottom sauce pan. Stir over low heat till both are soft. Add Powdered sugar. Stir until well combined. Shape into small balls and flatten them down.  Put onto wax paper and let dry till set. While you are waiting for it to dry, melt the white chocolate candy coating or white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and completely free of lumps. Separate out about a quarter of the white chocolate into a small bowl, and set aside temporarily. Sift the red velvet cake mix on top of the large bowl of white chocolate. Add a few drops of red candy coloring, and stir everything together. Adjust the coloring and add a bit more if necessary, until you get a red shade that you like. Scrape the red candy out onto the baking sheet and put it on top of the cream cheese candies.
So, I wanted the inside of this to be flavored red velvet but that didn't really work. The inside is cream cheese, and the outside is red velvety. I still wanted the red velvet flavor to be extra strong, so I rolled the candies thin and coated them heavily. Either way, this is super delicious and perfect for Valentine's day.


Photo Credit: Warm Vanilla Sugar (which means I edited her photos and made them red)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...