Saturday, February 16, 2013

Red Velvet Cannolis

DISCLAIMER: This is actually my idea, no one elses, but my camera's broken (waaah!) and I still wanted to have a picture for the post. I used a bunch of photos from a few other sites, partly because these are sites that I read and love, and their photos are beautiful! They are from Real Mom Kitchen, and Tidy Mom. Go check them out, they're amazing bloggers! I did this because I wanted pictures, but just know, these are not mine, I'm just sharing their photos and sites so that you can go see how cool they are, and this was a great opportunity for that. I edited the photos from Real Mom Kitchen, but they're technically still hers.

So my braces were tightened today.

You all know about the agony of braces from when I complained about it in this post. Basically what the orthodontist does is take off your old colorful things (the stuff that is the color of your braces.) These things


Then he takes off the wires. But he leaves the brackets on. Then he puts in smaller wires. Since the wires are smaller, they push more against your teeth. Which means they hurt more. Alot more.

Basically braces stink. Here's some stuff from an article I found that tells the side effects of tightening braces.


Headaches, nosebleeds or both can occur because of the pressure brace tightening builds up especially the day or two after a tightening.
When braces are tightened the excess metal is cut off and you will be asked to run your tongue over the metal to make sure it feels smooth. A big-portion of the time a tiny metal end will be missed digging its way into your cheek well after your visit to the office. If you smile it will cut deeper. Any soft spot inside the mouth is at risk. That's why the orthodontists give out wax. The wax is supposed to be put on top of the metal end, bothering you, to help prevent cutting or pain. Wax doesn't stay in place well and it gets swallowed a lot.

Um, yes, totally true. I have kancor (pronounced cain-ker) sores in the shape of wires that are in really deep. I've tried putting wax on before. Does. Not. Work. It is sooo hard to keep in place.

When you get your braces tightened, it won't hurt at first. Then after a couple of hours the pain kind of sets in. So as soon as my braces were tightened, I went and ate some Birthday Cake Oreos (sooooooo good!) Now I can't eat anything. Besides pudding, jello and ice cream.

When I first got my braces on, all I could think of was the pain. I kept asking my friend (who had braces) how long it was going to hurt. Eventually, I kind of got used to the hurting. It was weird. Then it gradually stopped. Then you have a week of normal-ness. And then you get them tightened again. And then it hurts again.

What really stinks is this time I have to have rubber bands on at night. So even if you kind of forget how much your teeth hurt, then you put your bands on. Oh, there's no forgettting here!

The only time you can forget your teeth troubles is when you eat something. When you eat something totally delish. When you eat Red Velvet Cannolis

Red Velvet Cannolis
Delicious cannolis flavored with red velvet cake mix
Ingredients:
12 cannoli shells
  • 4 cups ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup red velvet cake mix
  • 1 1/2 cups unsifted powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp red food coloring (optional, but I like the little extra bust of color)
Directions: In large bowl, fold powdered sugar, cake mix, and vanilla into the ricotta cheese. Fill cannoli shells with filling. Sift powdered sugar over the top of the cannolis. Serve.

Adapted from Megan Munchies

I've never had cannolis until now. These are the PERFECT way to eat cannolis! They are so good!

Photo Credit: Real Mom Kitchen, Tidy Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...