No matter how hard you try to think of something else, that one idea keeps coming back and nagging you?
That's exactly what's happening with me.
With muddy buddies.
I'll be sitting in PreAlgebra, looking out the window into the field, seeing the gym kids doing track stuff, which I know is torture, but at the moment looks so much better than being here.
In PreAlgebra.
With the teacher droning on and on about does everyone understand isoceles and that to find the value of x you first have to divide y by 37?
And while I'm looking out the window, my mind will wander to puppy chow.
This is seriously one of the worst things to be obsessed with.
As a food blogger at least.
Because a regular person would just go home and make some muddy buddies, and then it would be over.
A dessert blogger is trying to think of a new kind of muddy buddy.
Which would be totally fine, but muddy buddies are so hard to come up with new flavors.
There's always one roadblock, either with the chocolate or with the spread
(Muddy buddies have 3 key factors that cannot be left out, some type of spread like peanut butter, and some kind of chocolate, like peanut butter chips)
I'll be able to come up with a good chocolate, but then I'll get stuck at the spread idea.
Ashton has come up with a new way to get out of this, frosting.
Instead of a spread, use frosting. Exact same consistency and result with a lot more flavors.
But, there's only so many frostings a girl can have.
See, I've had this idea for a while.
I'd think, oh, I'll do chocolate chips for the chocolate covered donuts, the powdered sugar that goes with all muddy buddies for the powdered donuts, but what on earth will I use for a spread?
I presented my mom with this problem and she said . . .
"Just put some donut crumbs in a can of frosting."
Of course!
How could I not think of that?
Oh well, I'm glad she did.

Cake Donut Muddy Buddies
Chex mix covered with chocolate for chocolate covered cake donuts, a frosting with donut crumbs, and powdered sugar on top for powdered cake donuts.
Ingredients:
- 9 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup canned frosting (I used DuncanHines frosting starter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup donut crumbs
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup yellow cake mix
Pour the cereal into the bowl, and use a large rubber spatula to mix the cereal until it's coated in the chocolate mixture. Pour the cake mix and powdered sugar into a gallon sized zip top bag. Seal and shake together until mixed.
Use a large spoon (or whatever method works for you) to scoop the cereal into the bag. You can work with half of the batch at a time, but I can usually fit all of it into the bag. Seal the bag and shake until the cereal is coated in the powdered mixture. Serve
Notes: The Duncan Hines Frosting Starter is really good for this because it's not overly vanilla. This can be served at any stage, immediately, days later, it doesn't really matter!
(This is just a random picture of powdered donuts used to separate the recipe from the rest of the post.)
My mom said that cake donuts have sort of a nutmeg taste. I wasn't sure, but I added some just for fun. The yellow cake mix is for an extra boost of cake flavor.
Either way, these are some of the best muddy buddies I've ever had.
I edited some photos by Nikki @ Chef in Training. I made them say Cake Donut Muddy Buddies for my own purposes. This post is just a shout out to Nikki and her delicious Chocolate Covered Strawberry Muddy Buddies. Thanks for the delicious recipe Nikki! Everyone, go check it out! Because this post is all about Nikki!

No comments:
Post a Comment