I love churros.
But I am very picky about them.
If it's not cream filled, it's not worth it.
Churros without cream, are basically just a stick of cinnamon.
I had a big huge twisted one from Costco. And it basically tasted like a donut without frosting, that got covered in cinnamon.
It wasn't disgusting, but it definitely wasn't my kind of churro.
I like the kind from Jack in the box.
See the cream? Yum yum. I don't usually buy anything from jack-in-the-box. We just go and buy churros, and that's it.
I also like the ones from Taco Johns.
So, for Cinco De Mayo, I wanted to make some Jack in the Box copycat churros.
But it didn't really work.
It tasted NOTHING like the stuff from Jack in the Box. But what it tasted like, tasted a whole lot of good.
Almond Cream Filled Churros
A soft homemade churro filled with almond cream
Ingredients:
- Churros:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 and 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Almond Cream:
- 1 TBsp flour
- 1 1/2 TBsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract (or 1 tsp of vanilla paste)
- 1 large egg (or two very small ones)
- 1 TBsp butter
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 TBsp finely chopped toasted almonds
- Combine water, butter, salt and 2 tsp sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat to a rolling boil then quickly stir in flour all at once. Stir briskly over heat until all ingredients are well incorporated and dough is silky.
- Place dough in a mixer and beat on medium speed with paddle attachment.
- Add eggs one at a time as dough cools then beat 5 minutes.
- Place dough in pastry bag with a large star tip. Pipe dough onto prepared sheet pan in tube shapes about 3” long and 1” thick.
- Freeze piped dough until firm so it can be more easily handled.
- Heat oil to 375 and deep fry churros until golden brown then flip to complete browning. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels then allow to cool.
- Push a tunnel through both ends of churros with handle of a wooden spoon.
- Fill pastry bag with flavored pastry cream and pipe into churros then refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To make pastry cream mix flour and sugar together.
- Heat milk and vanilla to scalding in a heavy saucepan.
- Add 1/4cup hot milk to flour and sugar then beat until smooth and return to saucepan.
- Beat eggs lightly and temper by adding 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to eggs then beat well.
- Return tempered eggs to remaining milk mixture and cook over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat then add butter, almond extract and almond.
Adapted from GroupRecipes.com
These are suuuuper good. Like, churros of insane deliciousness. Would you like a description to make your mouth water? Yes, you would.
A crunchy churro, covered with cinnamon sugar, sticking to your fingers. Stuffed from the middle to the outside with a silky almond cream, these melt in your mouth, and stick to your , uh, I don't really know what they stick to. Maybe your hips?
I edited some photos by Butter + Cream. I made them say Almond Cream Filled Churros at the top for my own purposes. This post is just a shout out to Allison and her delicious churros. Thanks for the delicious recipe Allison! Everyone, go check it out! Because this post is all about Allison! Because while it looks like it's about the best way to celebrate Cinco De Mayo EVER (seriously, ever!) , it's really all about honoring our fellow blogger and friend Allison. Keep up the good work Allison! You are a great example of blogging and I just wanted to dedicate this post to you. That is why I wrote this post. I just wrote about the churros for fun, because really, this is all about you. This post is for you. The churros is just a nice little addition, like a present for you. The whole purpose of me writing this is to honor you. Not the churros. Because this is all about you. The whole reason of my blog is so I can honor bloggers like you. I do the recipes just to attract people here so they can see what a truly amazing personality you have. I hope you aren't angry that I edited your photos. The only reason I did it is so that I can compare the differences between our recipes and show that even though we're different, we're both awesome. Again, I hope you're not angry that I honored you like this. That is why I edited your photo, to honor you and show how cool you are. I hope I can grow up and make as many cool things as you.Once again, if you are offended by me editing your photos, well think of it like this. This is just a shout out to you, like many bloggers do with their friends at the bottom of their posts.
You know what's next, right? Before and after photos!
Here's Allison's

And mine


No comments:
Post a Comment