Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tagalong S'mores


I'm doing this thing in choir called a Solo Ensemble Festival. It's where you choose a folk song to learn, either a solo or in a small ensemble, and perform it in front of some judges.

It's really scary to do. Because, there's like, real judges from the college coming. You actually have to perform your song three times, once in front of the choir, once in front of all the parents, and once in front of the judges.

I haven't done it in front of the judges yet, but today I did my song in front of all the parents.

Oh. My. Goshness. You like, die of fright. I can sing perfectly (well, almost perfect) at home, but when I go up there . . .

You stand. Your mouth is dry. You swallow, but that only makes it worse. You're sweating like a sponge. You feel all the hundreds of eyes on you. Watching you. The pianist starts playing then pauses. Waiting. For something. Oh yeah, she's waiting for you. You open your mouth and a high pitched whinny comes out. You smile huge ( supposedly the smile distracts from the mistake). Your knees are shaking and your voice comes out wobbly. You forget to breath after the word "ceasing" and nearly pass out while holding out the word "love". You keep on singing though. Because what's worse than messing up is not singing at all. Like the girl before you did. So you keep on singing. Your voice suddenly catches in your throat and you smile bigger than the sun. It's a forced smile though, and the audience can tell. You keep on singing, messing up and smiling, until finally, it's over. Finally over. It's very quiet. Still. And then the applause starts. They liked it? They liked that shaky high pitched noise coming out of you? You bow deeply, and walk back to your seat. You finally can relax. For the rest of the evening, people say congratulations and how you did great. And you say thank you and tell them they were good too even thought you have no idea who they are.

That's what you do. And that's how it is.

I always do better at home than I do at performances just because of how nervous I am. But I know that I don't sing horrible, I actually sing okay. I listened to myself on the recording on my dad's phone, and I sound better than okay.

So much better than okay that a lady in the church choir comes up and tells me that she wants me to sing that song in church next week.

And then I start going into panic mode again.

So, what do you do when you have just been told that not only will you have to sing in front of judges, you will also have to sing in front of your whole congregation? Well you go home and make tagalong s'mores.

They're as good as they sound.

Just do it.  (like Nike)

Tagalong S'mores
Tagalong girl scout cookies with a marshmallow in between them. The shortbread in the tagalong is the graham cracker replacement, and the chocolate coating takes place of the hersheys. And then there's the marshmallow too of course.
Ingredients:
  • Tagalongs (however many s'mores you're going to make x 2)
  • marshamallows (1/2 as many marshmallows as tagalongs)
Directions: Put one frozen tagalong on a wax paper lying on a cookie sheet. Put as many tagalongs as you want on as long as they are frozen. Put a marshmallow on each one. Turn on your oven and watch them toast. It should take about 1 minute, but ovens vary, so just take them out when they're a golden brown. Then place another tagalong on top (does not need to be frozen) and eat.

I discovered making s'mores in the oven a long time ago and still do it alot (except now I kind of like roasting them over the stove more). These are just tagalongs and marshmallows. I know that doesn't really qualify to most people as a s'more, but the chocolate coating = chocolate. The shortbread part= graham cracker. And then the marshmallow is just the marshmallow.

These are definitely some of my favorite s'mores. As in best s'mores I've ever eaten. I love them soooooo much! I love peanut butter chocolate reeses s'mores, and this girl scout version is even better!

Photo Credit: Edited by me, original photo from The Seaside Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...