Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Funfetti Cake Batter S'mores

 Guess what guys!

It's my birthday this week!!!!!!!

I love my birthday because . . .

1. There's presents
2. It's the last day of school
3. There is cake. Nuff said.

So in honor of me (!!!) it's cake batter week! I loooove cake batter, and I've been saving up lots of recipes for this.

Seriously, it's been killing me.

A while ago, around leperchaun season, I was obsessed with s'mores. o-b-s-es-s-e-d. I talked about rainbow s'mores in this post, and then finally vented it with these.

Well, I guess a little of it stuck to me, and when I thought of doing a cake batter week, my first idea was 'smores!!'

And these are good smores. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and make homemade marshmallows. Only I didn't just do marshmallows. I did cake batter marshmallows. And I just didn't do cake batter marshmallows, I did cake batter s'mores. Uh-huh, I just went there.

And by the way, I just cannot say enough about homemade marshmallows. They're softer, airier, they're like a dream come true. I'd make them 24/7 if it weren't so easy just to buy them. I kind of knew in advance that this wasn't exactly a cup of tea, so I wanted to make sure it was worth my while.

It totally was, and it'll be worth yours too.

Funfetti Cake Batter S'mores

S'mores made from homemade cake batter marshmallows.

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup (divided)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup funfetti cake mix
  • sprinkles 
  •  coating: (1/4 cup corn starch and 3/8 cup powdered sugar combined)
 Directions:
  1. Line an 8x8-inch pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
  2. Whisk together the gelatin and cold water in a small bowl and let soften for 5 minutes
  3. Stir together the sugar, 1/4 cup of the corn syrup, 1/4 cup water and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 240F on a candy thermometer.
  4. Meanwhile, pour the remaining 1/4 cup corn syrup into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Microwave gelatin on high until totally melted, about 30 seconds. Pour into the mixer bowl, Set the mixer speed to low and keep it running.
  5. When the syrup is 240F, slowly pour it into the mixer. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes. Increase to medium-high and beat for 5 more minutes. Beat on the highest setting for 1-2 mins more and beat in the vanilla. The finished marshmallow will be opaque, white, fluffy and tripled in volume. (don't overwhip the batter or it will make folding in the cake mix a huge mess.) Sift in about half the cake mix over the marshmallow batter. Use a spatula to gently fold it in and then sift and fold in the rest. Fold in the sprinkles.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, using an offset spatula to smooth it into the corners. Sift the coating over the top, reserving some for later. Let it set for 6 hours in a cool dry place.
  7. Use a knife to loosen the marshmallow from the edges of the pan. Invert the slab onto a coating-dusted work surface and dust it with more coating. Use kitchen scissors to cut the marshmallows into pieces and dip the sticky edges into more coating, patting off the excess.

 Notes: Quin sprinkles work best because they match the ones in the cake mix.

 Adapted from Fake Ginger


So, these s'mores rock. You should make them. I don't have much left to say so let's move on to the credit.

 I merged some photos from The Berry with pictures from 1 Fine Cookie. I made them say Funfetti Cake Batter S'mores at the bottom for my own purposes. This post is just a shout out to both websites. But the photo from The Berry is just a s'more. It's an awesome photo (whoever took that should give me some tips!) but it doesn't have a recipe. Jasmin made some birthday cake marshmallows however (great minds think alike!) and they are a recipe. Thanks for the delicious recipe Jasmin! Everyone, go check it out! While it looks like it's about my new favorite s'more, it's really all about honoring our fellow blogger and friend Jasmin. Keep up the good work Jasmin! You are a great example of blogging and I just wanted to dedicate this post to you. That is why I wrote this post. I just wrote about the s'mores for fun, because really, this is all about you. This post is for you. The s'mores are just a nice little addition, like a present for you. The whole purpose of me writing this is to honor you. Not the s'mores. Because this is all about you. The whole reason of my blog is so I can honor bloggers like you. I do the recipes just to attract people here so they can see what a truly amazing personality you have. I hope you aren't angry that I edited your photos. The only reason I did it is so that I can compare the differences between our recipes and show that even though we're different, we're both awesome. Again, I hope you're not angry that I honored you like this. That is why I edited your photo, to honor you and show how cool you are. I hope I can grow up and make as many cool things as you.Once again, if you are offended by me editing your photos, well think of it like this. This is just a shout out to you, like many bloggers do with their friends at the bottom of their posts.


Now it's ten ' o' clock when I'm writing this, so let's hurry this up and get to the good stuff, shall we?

smores-yum-11

+
 1 Fine Cookie's how to make funfetti cake, Birthday Cake Batter Marshmallows by 1 Fine Cookie, cake marshmallows, sprinkles marshmallows, birthday cake marshmallows,
 =
 

P.S. Another ingredient that should be thrown in there is
This is me, Secret Baker Yep, that's right, me. Because honestly, the marshmallows look nothing like the finished project. Merging photos is a TON of work. And I do it all for you. Sigh, you are just too lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...